Thursday, November 5, 2009

NaNoWriMo and Other Stuff

Amidst this silence on the blog, a lot has been going on in the forums. I've been going back and reworking the Core scripting framework that Shadows & Silver uses so it's more powerful and flexible. I've also been working on a lot of documentation so that others who want to use the Core will be able to do so with minimal hassle. Meanwhile, Sherincall has started work on a ground-breaking custom ruleset that will establish S&S as a game that just happens to use NWN as its engine, rather than yet another NWN module. We're working hard to develop something new and exciting, a server like you've never seen before.

Also, as if I didn't have enough on my plate, I've decided to join NaNoWriMo, the National Novel Writing Month, wherein wannabe authors like me try to crank out a 50,000 word novel in a month. I'm starting a couple of days late, so I have a little catching up to do. Even though I've been working on this novel for years now, I hardly ever get anything of substance written. I'm very critical of my writing (not here, on this blog, where I just ramble as I see fit), and I usually decide what I said sucks and then destroy it.

Not this month. No, in November I will be committing myself to writing like I was playing in my Oblivion blog: no reloads. I'll write what comes and run with it. No going back and fiddling with wording, no rewriting a weak paragraph. I can always go back and edit it after I'm done, but the point will be to get it out there, even if it's not perfect. Hopefully this will be a good exercise with lots of fruit.

If you want to follow my progress, you can do so here.

7 comments:

BH said...

Good luck with it, Michael! I'd give it a go myself, but I think my brain would melt(!). Good news about S&S too; can't wait to try out your new ruleset, whether in its final state or as some sort of beta tester.

Off topic: Huh, I didn't know you were 23. It feels weird to be older than you (and much less mature!).

Sherincall said...

Okay. I'll see what I can do about bringing out the beta version. Wont be for another week at least, though.

Sherincall said...

I somehow managed to lose the tlk I was working on. Really no idea how, as I'm pretty sure I clicked save several times while working on it. Hopefully I'll figure it out before losing anything else.

Anyway, this sets me back about 6 hours, or 2 days. And completely ruins my motivation. Thus, the ruleset beta will be late.

Michael A. Sinclair said...

Eww... sorry to hear that, dude. Can I be of any help?

Sherincall said...

Yes. I'd like to leave skill descriptions to you, if it's not too much of a problem. Though, that can wait as long as it takes.

Michael A. Sinclair said...

Can do. Haven't actually done any tlk editing, but I think I can figure it out.

Sherincall said...

Don't worry about that. A) It's trivial. B) You won't need to do any of that, just write it in notepad and it'll be just fine. I still need some tweaking to do before I send you the list of things needed. After that, you can write it down anytime you feel like it, as it won't be required by anything except the players.