Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Getting there...

Well, as you can see from the screenshots below, I'm starting to flesh out Manheim Court. Building has been getting easier. The more I do, the less of a struggle it is. I'm starting to find good places to put things and develop an eye for background.



I've also added some story elements into the NPC conversations. I want the world to be immersive, and that means each person should have as much depth to them as possible. Dialog writing takes time, but it's one of the more rewarding parts of building for me.



Seeing dialogs pull the player into the environment helps me see where I'm going with this whole thing. For instance, Errol's complaint of having to look at Gretchen's food store all day without being able to afford to buy anything. That's pulling the player into the game right there. FP suggested I add some more elements to that, though. As you can see here, I added a little growing something into the pot by his bed (FP's suggestion). Maybe he'll eat it when he's hungry and foolish enough.



I've also begun adding more NPCs. Some of these fellows will be sitting down or walking around once my ambient system is working (yep, yet another system I'm doing from scratch; *sigh*). In this shot, there's a Federal agent wielding a government issue sidearm, a typical Midport guard, and an Automat. Automats are a recent invention in the world of Shadows & Silver; they're similar to golems, but based on science rather than magic. You'll see lots of them around the world and (if I get time to write the scripts) even be able to make or purchase one of your own.



You can see I'm adding plenty of placeables, but not every shop needs tons of wares around it. Here's a simple one that was quite fun to make.



Hope you enjoyed the shots. Here's a few more just for kicks.









3 comments:

Casa said...

Those look incredibly good, SM. You're really getting there, and I also totally agree with your approach to dialogues.

PJH said...

Hey, you haven't updated in awhile, nor have I heard from you on the forums.

Hope all is well!

FP!

Michael A. Sinclair said...

Hey, FP! Yeah, things've been slow lately, but I'm still working. Was actually writing a new post and preparing screenshots when you commented. Enjoy, and I look forward to hearing your great criticisms. :)

And Shadewood is final! WOOHOO! Can't wait until it's approved and on the Vault, though it might mean I'm too busy playing to build. :P