Saturday, March 15, 2008

Purpose

Why make Shadows & Silver? Beyond the stock statement that I feel the need to create, well... I have something I want to say to the world. It's something that can be said in simple words, but it's much more effective to say it with a story. In The Lord of the Rings, Tolkien showed us that after evil comes nothing is ever the same. Saying those words communicates the idea, but not as effectively as watching Frodo and Sam sacrifice everything only to find they didn't save the Shire after all.

In writing Shadows & Silver, I want to deal with many themes. But the overall statement I want to make is that, by forsaking childlike idealism, men lead sorrowful and hopeless lives. There are plenty of applications of that basic concept that can easily be turned into story elements: war and peace, magic and science, liberty and tyranny, faith and doubt, corruption and redemption... the list goes on. My stories will highlight these conflicts. In every case, though, I want to show the tragic state of humanity. The world will revolve around this theme.

No comments: